Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why be righteous?

Job 22:2-3 asks:

2"Can a man be profitable to God?
Surely he who is wise is profitable to himself.
3Is it any pleasure to the Almighty if you are in the right,
or is it gain to him if you make your ways blameless?

This struck me as an important question. I guess what I thought in response to this question is that God doesn't need us. All the teaching, rebuking, discipline, and commandments God gives to us- they're all for our benefit. Righteousness makes our lives better.

I don't know how to think about God "delighting" in our obedience to him. There seems to be some tension here when I try and examine the way we may effect God's attitudes. That doesn't even seem possible though. Can we actually make God happy? Or, is God beyond our influence, and his love for us is why he leads us toward righteousness. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment